Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Exercises & Activities
Study Sheet for Allegory of the Cave by Plato
Excerpt From this Document
Study Sheet for The Allegory of the Cave
- Write down anything you know about the author, Plato, and his times. Write down the definition of allegory.
- Read pp. 500-504 once. Look up any unfamiliar words in a dictionary. Write the definitions below.
- The first sentence of the allegory gives the main idea. Paraphrase the sentence below.
- Summarize the literal meaning of the story below. Describe the setting, characters, and story line.
- To get at the symbolic meaning, list as many symbols as you can find and try to figure out for what they stand.
- What do you think is the theme of the allegory? Or, in other words, what is Plato trying to convince you of?
- Do you agree or disagree with Plato? Why or why not? Remember, your supporting reasons can be from your own experience (if you realize that your experience may not be the same as others), from your knowledge of other areas (history, anthropology, psychology, the sciences, etc.).
About this Document
A study sheet to be used by students when studying Allegory of the Cave.