Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Exercises & Activities
Romanticism and Realism Art Power Point
Excerpt From this Document
Romanticism and Realism Art/Music
- Compare Renaissance Art with Romantic, Realist, and Impressionist art.
- Determine the themes and subjects of various art of the Industrial Revolution.
Romanticism Period (early-mid 1800’s)
- What is romantic art? appealed to the sentiment and imagination and dealt with the “romance” of life; glorified emotion and instinct; idealized nature and the golden past.
- What are some political events that contributed to this style of art? What would be its relationship to romanticism? Enlightenment romantics reacted to the emphasis on reason and progress by glorifying emotion and instinct. French Revolution romantics followed the examples of the revolutionaries who overturned the old order of society and overturned the formal structures that had governed literature and art.
Realism Period (mid-late 1800’s)
- What is realism art? dealt with the realities of everyday life, expressed a keen observation of social settings, emphasized social and economic conditions.
- Realists disliked anything romantic!
- Sympathetic towards the working class.
- Express dignity and strength of people.
- Subjects are portrayed in as straightforward manner as possible, without idealizing them.
Impressionist Period (late 1800’s to early 1900’s)
- What is impressionist art? Term is coined after a painting entitled Impressionism by Claude Monet. Concentrated on scenes of everyday life, impressions of people and places as they appeared at a particular moment and in a particular light. REJECTED religious and historical heroic scenes and the Renaissance idea of perspective. Capture the subjective impression of light in a scene using color. Led to Pointillism (Neo-Impressionism)
Closure: Questions to Consider
- How did the ideas and works of realists differ from those of the romantics?
- Which artistic movement is more beneficial to society in your opinion?
- Write a poem or create an illustration in one of the artistic styles discussed in this presentation.
About this Document
This power point has information and visuals of paintings of the Romanticism and Realism art genres. This is part of the Industrial Age unit when I cover life and society.