Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Reading Questions, Great Gatsby
Excerpt From this Document
Chapters 1 – 3
- What does Tom say to Nick on the porch about his (Tom’s) house?
- Why is Jordan so startled when she says “Absolutely!”
- Where does Gatsby live? (what egg)
- Why does Jordan so “no thanks” to a cocktail?
- What is Nick’s first impression of Jordan?
- How does Nick describe Daisy?
- Why does Tom think that “Civilization is going to pieces?”
- What is the White Star Line? What is that an allusion to? (you will have to look this up) What might this foreshadow for the Buchanans?
- What does Daisy say she wants her little girl to grow up to be?
- Who does Nick see in the distance as he is leaving the house?
- What is the “valley of ashes?”
- What does Wilson ask of Tom?
- What magazine does Myrtle buy a copy of? What does it suggest about her?
- Who does Myrtle call to come to the apartment?
- Name three things that happen at the party.
- What is Catherine referring to when she says “can’t stand them”?
- Who gets hit and why?
- What type of preparation is done for Gatsby’s parties?
- Who does Nick see first at the party?
- What is one rumor about Gatsby?
- Who does Nick talk to about the war while sitting at a table at the party?
- What happens as people are trying to leave the party?
- How is Nick spending his time in New York besides attending Gatsby’s parties?
Chapters 4 and 5
- Name at least 5 people who attended Gatsby’s party.
- What is a bootlegger?
- Who is Klipspringer?
- How is Gatsby described by Nick when Gatsby comes to pick Nick up for lunch?
- Describe Gatsby’s car.
- What is Gatsby’s “real” story? Give at least 5 details.
- Who do they have lunch with? What type of business is this man in? (you will have to infer this answer)
- How does Gatsby react when introduced to Tom?
- What year was it when Gatsby and Daisy first knew each other?
- How long after being with Gatsby does Daisy marry Tom?
- What is Daisy’s mood the night before her wedding?
- Did Daisy love Tom when she married him? Support.
- What happened in Santa Barbara?
- Why did Gatsby buy his house?
- What does Jordan ask of Nick, on Gatsby’s behalf?
- What phrase “beats in [Nick’s] ears? (pg. 79)
- What type of work does Gatsby offer Nick? Why does Nick refuse?
- How is Gatsby’s mood the day Daisy comes for tea?
- How long has it been since they’ve seen each other?
- Where do Daisy, Nick, and Gatsby go?
- Which room of Gatsby’s house was the simplest?
- What does Daisy say makes her sad?
- Who used to be Gatsby’s best friend?
- Why does Gatsby let all his domestic help go?
- Why do the characters decide to go to New York?
- What does Tom drive to New York?
- Who rides with Gatsby?
- Of what does Tom accuse Gatsby?
- How late does Gatsby stand outside Daisy’s house, waiting to see if she needed him?
- What might Fitzgerald mean in describing Daisy’s porch as “bright with the bought luxury of starshine”?
- Why didn’t Gatsby return to Daisy immediately after the war?
- After learning who owns the yellow death car, what does Wilson do?
- What does Wolfsheim’s letter say?
- Who is Henry C. Gatz?
- “They’re a rotten crowd. You’re worth the whole damn bunch put together.” Who says this and to whom is it said?
- Where are Daisy and Tom during Gatsby’s funeral?
- What had Gatsby written in his childhood book, Hopalong Cassidy?
- What happens between Nick and Jordan?
- Why does Nick leave New York?
- Does Nick ever see Tom and/or Daisy again? Explain.
About this Document
This document is a series of reading questions to accompany the novel "The Great Gatsby." The questions are designed to keep the reader focused and to enhance comprehension. Most questions are geared towards basic understanding, but there are a few critical thinking questions.