Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Reading Guide for Great Expectations
Excerpt From this Document
- Who does Pip meet in the churchyard?
- What two things does he demand of Pip?
- What will happen to Pip if he doesn’t do so?
- What kind of person do you think the convict is?
- Describe Mrs. Joe Gargery’s appearance and attitude.
- What does Joe think Pip did at the dinner table?
- What does Mrs. Joe make both of them drink?
- What does the firing of the guns indicate?
- What all did Pip take to the convict?
- Name the people eating at the Gargery’s on Christmas Day.
- What happened to Uncle Pumblechook?
- Who does the soldier want and why?
- Where do the soldiers go to find the convicts?
- What are the two convicts doing? What does Convict #1 say about Convict #2?
- What does Convict #1 say before he is taken on board?
- Now what kind of person do you think Convict #1 is?
- Why doesn’t Pip tell Joe or Mrs. Joe what happened?
- Who is Biddy? What does she teach Pip?
- What does Pip learn about Joe in this chapter?
- 3. Where does Mrs. Joe send Pip and who takes him?
- Describe the young girl at the gate.
- Describe what Pip sees in Miss Havisham’s room.
- Give examples of how Estella treats Pip.
- What changes occur in Pip?
- What did the stranger use to stir his drink?
- What did he give Pip?
- Who all was at Miss Havisham’s when Pip arrived?
- Describe the room Pip sees at Miss Havisham’s.
- What happened in the garden?
- What did Estella let Pip do before he left?
- How often did Pip visit Miss Havisham at this point?
- What was Miss Havisham turning Estella into? What did she tell her to do?
- Why does Miss Havisham call Joe to her house?
- Why is Pip ashamed of Joe?
- Why do Orlick and Joe fight?
- Where is Estella now?
- What happened to Mrs. Joe?
- How has she changed?
- What has changed about Biddy?
- What does Pip tell Biddy he wants to become?
- Why does he want this?
- What news does Mr. Jaggers bring Pip?
- What are the two rules Pip must follow?
- Who does Pip suspect is the person behind this?
- What is it about Joe that Pip thinks needs help?
- Who takes credit for Pip’s fortune?
- Why does Miss Havisham keep Sarah Pocket in the room when talking to Pip?
- What is Pip’s first impression of London? Describe the city.
- Is Mr. Jaggers good at his job? How do you know?
- Who takes Pip to Mr. Pocket JR’s place? Who does Pocket turn out to be?
- How is Estella related to Miss Havisham?
- What name does Herbert give Pip?
- What helpful hints does Herbert give Pip throughout his story/dinner?
- What is his story about?
- Why is Pip to stay with Mr. Pocket?
- Who are the two other boys staying there?
- What are the two masks (heads) in Mr. Jaggers’ office?
- What does Wemmick say about Jaggers’ housekeeper?
- How does Wemmick change on his way back to work?
- What does Jaggers show the four boys at the dinner table—(Molly)?
- Who does Jaggers really like of the four boys? What does he call him?
- Who sends Pip a letter? Who’s coming to London?
- How does Pip feel about this? Why?
- How does Joe feel about being in London?
- Who rides back home with Pip?
- Who back home is taking credit for Pip’s success?
- Who is working at Miss Havisham’s now? (by the end of the chapter, what happens to him?)
- How does Pip feel about Estella?
- What does she explain to him about herself?
- What does Miss Havisham tell Pip to do about Estella?
- Who does Herbert love? What is their plan?
About this Document
This reading guide goes through the 39 chapters of the novel and has focus questions that are fairly easy to answer. They help students retain the central information from each chapter.