Excerpt From this Document
IN YOUR HEAD
- What occasion provides the creature with a further opportunity to learn the language? Safie, Felix’s “Sweet Arabian”, is learning to speak his language, so the creature learns along with her.
- When is the only time when the creature ventures out? The creature goes out only at night for food, afraid of meeting people and suffering abuse at their hands again.
- What did the creature learn were the highest possession a person could have? A high and “unsullied” descent (honorable ancestors) and riches.
- What was the last name of the cottagers? DeLacey
- Where were the cottagers originally from? The DeLaceys were originally from France.
- What did the creature feel was the real cause for the imprisonment of Safie’s father? The creature felt it was due to his wealth and his Muslim religion.
- What religion did Safie follow? Safie was a Christian, as taught her by her Christian Arab mother.
- Who helps Safie’s father to escape from France? Felix helps him escape, along with Safie.
- What did the French government do when they learned of Felix’s assistance in the Turk’s escape? Agatha and DeLacey were imprisoned.
- What was the sentence given to Agatha and DeLacey? Their sentence was the loss of their fortune and exile from France.
THINK AND SEARCH
- Describe the creature’s education. The creature improved his language by listening as the DeLaceys taught Safie. He also learned about history from listening to Felix read aloud to his family.
- How did the creature’s education make him feel worse about himself?As the creature learned about different cultures, he also learned he had nothing that brought men to greatness, no ancestry, no riches, no connections.
- In what ways was the creature better than humans? The creature was more agile, could subsist on a coarser diet, could stand extremes of temperature better, and was taller.
- What were the past circumstances of the DeLaceys? The DeLaceys were members of the French upper class, with wealth, power, and prestige.
- How did Safie locate the DeLaceys? Safie discovered their location in some papers of her father’s. When she arrived near the spot, her servant and translator died, but a friendly Italian and his wife directed her to the DeLaceys’ cottage.
IN YOUR HEAD
- How does Shelley use Felix as an example to the creature of loyalty and honor, as Victor’s father was an example to Victor? Felix helped Safie’s father to escape the injustice of the French government, even though the Turk was of a different race and religion than himself. He remained true to Safie, even after he was deserted by her father.
- In what ways does Shelley show the creature to be more human than Victor? The creature is more sensitive to the needs, desires, and feelings of others, while Victor thinks primarily about himself. The creature goes out of his way to show unlooked-for kindnesses to the DeLaceys, while Victor goes out of his way to protect himself.
- How does Shelley portray an ambiguous dichotomy of human nature?Through the creature, Shelley speculates on the fact that man, who is capable of such great good, tends to practice great evil. Human worth is based on heritage and wealth, only on of which can be controlled by an individual, and that only at the expense of others.
ON YOUR OWN
- “To be a great and virtuous man appeared the highest honour that can befall a sensitive being; to be base and vicious, as many on record have been, appeared the lowest degradation, a condition more abject than that of the blind mole or harmless worm.” Discuss the qualities that you believe make a great and virtuous person. Use general examples or personal experience. Student responses will vary.
About this Document
Using the QAR (Question-Answer-Relationship) method of questioning, readers will access all levels of thinking and critical analysis to comprehend and analyze Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein" (Chapters XIII, XIV). Beginning with lower level factual questioning, readers will gradually move up into higher levels of thinking. Short answer, paragraph-writing, and essay-writing are used to complete these questions.