Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Pre-Reading Historical Context "The Cay"
Excerpt From this Document
Pre-Reading Historical Context- The Cay
Directions: For each of the numbered items you are to answer the questions in your notebooks. You must first write the questions, then the answers. You must also write the full web address where you found the answers for each question.
- German U-boats a. What does the “U” in U-boat stand for? b. What kind of weaponry did the U-boats use to launch attacks? c. How many Allied ships were sunk by the end of World War II?
- Queen Emma Bridge a. What kind of bridge is it? b. What is the length of the bridge? c. What year did it open and when has it been restored?
- Battle of the Atlantic a. During what years did this famed battle take place? b. What is ASDIC? c. How did ASDIC help in the Battle of the Atlantic?
- Willemstad a. What is the name of the island that Willemstad is located on? b. What is the name of the oil refinery that was established on the island in 1915? c. Which 3 Major League Baseball players are from Willemstad?
- S.S. Empire Tern (1) a. Visit this website and find this ship, they are listed alphabetically. http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireT.html b. Who had control of the ship in 1940? c. What year was the ship scrapped? d. Where is Osaka located?
- Royal Air Force a. What year was the RAF formed? b. What did Prime Minister Winston Churchill say about the RAF on August 20, 1940? c. What was the controversial policy that the RAF adopted around 1942?
- Homes during World War II a. Go to this website that illustrates a war time home http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2children/warhome/warhome_intro.shtml b. Write down what blackout curtains are used for. c. Describe the kind of lighting that was typically used in the homes?
About this Document
This is an activity that students complete prior to reading the novel "The Cay". Student will use the Internet to answer questions about the historical setting in which "The Cay" takes place.