Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Peace Like a River Setting Power Point
Excerpt From this Document
- Setting is the time, place, location, and description where the action in a story occurs.
- Where does Peace Like a River take place and what images do these places conjure in your mind?
- In what time period does Peace Like A River occur and what does this time period bring to mind for you?
Minnesota~ A Quick Look
- Minnesota is a state in the Midwestern region of the United States. It is the 12th largest state in the U.S., and the 21st most populous, with over five million residents.
- Minnesota was carved out of the eastern half of the Minnesota Territory and admitted to the Union as the 32nd state in 1858.
- Minnesota is the northernmost state except for Alaska; its Northwest Angle is the only part of the 48 contiguous states lying north of the 49th Parallel.
- Minnesota is in the U.S. region known as the Upper Midwest. The state shares a Lake Superior water border with Michigan and Wisconsin on the northeast; the remainder of the eastern border is with Wisconsin. Iowa is to the south, North Dakota and South Dakota are west, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Manitoba are north.
- Minnesota is the 12th largest state, and is the secondlargest of the Midwestern states.
- The average high during the winter is 30 degrees, and the low is 18 degrees!
And What About North Dakota?
- North Dakota is a Midwestern state in the United States. It is the northernmost of the Great Plains states and is the northern half of The Dakotas.
- During the 19th century, North Dakota was considered part of the Wild West.
- Formerly part of Dakota Territory (named after the Dakota tribe of Native Americans), North Dakota became the 39th state in 1889.
- The average high temperature for winter is 24 degrees. The low is 4 degrees!
What does this mean?
- In Peace Like a River the Land family must overcome all sorts of environmental issues that we do not have to cope with.
- Technological developments that we rely on today were not available. Things like: lots of channels of television, I-pods, Nintendo, play stations, etc., Cellular phones, Computers, Navigation Systems
Timeline of the 1660s
- The first debate for a presidential election was televised. It was between Senator John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon. Nixon seemed nervous, but Kennedy stood tall. The debate on TV changed many people's minds about Kennedy.
- The year NASA sent up ECHO, the first communications satellite be seen with the naked eye.
- American "U2" spy plane shot down over the USSR.
- The Olympic Games were held in Rome and Wilma Rudolf won three gold medals.
About this Document
Setting and context in Peace Like a River. (power point)