Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Tests & Quizzes
Othello Act I Quiz
Excerpt From this Document
- Who says, “Tush! never tell me; I take it much unkindly That thou, Iago, who hast had my purse As if the strings were thine, shouldst know of this.”?
- Who says, “Even now, now, very now, an old black ram Is topping your white ewe.”?
- Who says, “That thou hast practised on her with foul charms, Abused her delicate youth with drugs or minerals That weaken motion: I'll have't disputed on;”?
- Who says, “She loved me for the dangers I had pass'd, And I loved her that she did pity them. This only is the witchcraft I have used:”?
- Who says, “Ancient, conduct them: you best know the place And, till she come, as truly as to heaven I do confess the vices of my blood, So justly to your grave ears I'll present How I did thrive in this fair lady's love, And she in mine.”?
- Who is the “Ancient” in the above quote?
- Othello is a morality play, similar to the “Garden of Eden” story in Genesis. How so?
- What is the racial make-up of a “Black-A-Moor”?
- In what two ways is Othello a stranger in Venice?
- According to Aristotle, what is the most important aspect of tragedy?
- According to Aristotle, tragedy is meant to achieve “catharsis,” which is meant to arouse in the audience what two feelings?
- In terms of race and history, what is significant about the year in which Othello was written (early 1600s)?
- What does the setting (in terms of time of day) in scene 1 symbolize?
- What does Brabantio foreshadow as Othello’s tragic flaw?
- What is a cuckold, and who is going to be accused of being one later in the play?
- Name two things that appeared on the stage of Othello that were never seen before.
- What are the two great fears of Elizabethan society?
- What three elements of Shakespearean drama did not appear in Greek drama?
- Who are the four (4) highest ranking characters in Act I?
- Who has the only soliloquy in Act I, and what does this character reveal in it?
- What two battles does Othello win in Act I?
- Explain the relationship between Iago and Roderigo.
- Othello wins Desdemona’s hand in marriage and his day in court using what major strategy?
- Name an example of dramatic or verbal irony from Act I.
- What an major example of imagery from Act I?
- Name two major themes present already in Act I.
About this Document
Othello Act I and background notes quiz