Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
To Kill a Mockingbird trial study guide
Excerpt From this Document
The Ewells v. Tom Robinson
- Lawyer for the Ewells:
- Lawyer for Tom Robinson:
- Name of the Judge:
- Where is the trial taking place (building and town):
- When is the trial taking place (season and year):
- With what crime is Tom Robinson being charged (doing what to whom):
- Who are the four witness called to the stand:
HECK TATE’S TESTIMONY
- On what date did the supposed incident occur (date and year):
- What did Bob Ewell tell Heck Tate had happened:
- What did Heck Tate do when Bob Ewell fetched him:
- Why does Heck Tate say they didn’t call a doctor?
THE EWELLS’ LIFESTYLE
- Describe what we learn about the Ewell’s lifestyle (how and where they live):
- To whom do the red geranium belong? Why are they so out of place? What might they symbolize?
- How many Ewell children are there?
- Who is the oldest?
- What are their parents like?
- How does Scout come to see Mayella? What does she eventually think about how Mayella must feel?
BOB EWELL’S TESTIMONY
- What is Bob’s general attitude when he is on the stand?
- What did Bob see when he came back from chopping up kindling (be specific):
- According to Bob, how was the furniture arranged in the room in his house when he came back?
- Why didn’t Bob chase after the man who had hurt Mayella?
- What is Bob’s answer when Atticus asks if during all that running Bob ran for a doctor?
- Does Bob agree with Heck Tate’s description of Mayella’s injuries:
- Why does Atticus ask Bob Ewell to write his name?
- What does the audience see about Bob Ewell when Mr. Gilmer asks if he’s ambidextrous?
- At this point, how does Jem feel about the trial?
- How does Scout feel?
- What’s so special about Mayella’s appearance?
- How does Jem react when Mayella starts crying about being scared of Atticus?
- What does Mayella say she asked Tom to come inside the fence to do?
- What does Mayella say happened when she went in the house to get the nickel for Tom?
- Why does Mayella think Atticus is mocking her (two ways):
- What picture does Atticus try to paint of Bob Ewell?
- How does Mayella react when Atticus asks if this is the first time she asked Tom to come inside the fence?
- How does Mayella describe how Tom attacked her?
- What does Scout realize about Tom when Atticus has him stand up?
- Atticus beings to ask Mayella a series of questions that she doesn’t answer. What does Atticus want her to admit?
TOM ROBINSON’S TESTIMONY
- How old is Tom?
- Is he married?
- Does he have children? If so, how many?
- Describe how Tom has previously been in trouble with the law:
- For whom does Tom work and what does he do?
- Did Tom accept money for his labors?
- What did Tom think was odd about the Ewell home the day the incident happened?
- What did Mayella do for the children that day?
- How does Mayella get Tom inside the house? What does she ask him to do?
- How does Tom Robinson explain what happened inside the house that day?
- What were Tom’s intentions when trying to get away from Mayella?
About this Document
The trial can get confusing for some students; this study guide should help them keep some of the main ideas straight.