Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Introductory questions for The Odyssey
Excerpt From this Document
- ODYSSEY is defined as “a long journey.” Whose long journey is describedin The Odyssey? (878)
- What is an epic? (878)
- Who wrote The Odyssey? (878)
- What do historians know about the author of The Odyssey? (882)
- How did The Trojan War begin? (879) In what epic is the Trojan War themain event? (888)
- What was the Wooden Horse Trick? (881)
- What is an alter ego? (882)
- Who serves as Odysseus’s alter ego for good qualities? (Hint, these are the people who are on his side) (882)
- Who serves as Odysseus’s alter ego for bad qualities? (882)
- Define rhapsode. (882)
- How were the epics, like The Odyssey, told? (883)
- What other two names are the Greeks referred to as in The Odyssey?
Major Characters in The Odyssey: Guided Notes
Use this handout to help you in reading this epic poem. Some have been leftblank intentionally. Use pgs 885 – 886 of your blue lit book to complete these notes!
- Alcinous: King of Paeacia. Odysseus tells to story of his adventures to Alcinous’ court.
- __________: Beautiful goddess nymph who keeps Odysseus on her island for seven years.
- Charybdis: Female monster who sucks in water to form whirlpools.
- Scylla: Female monster with six serpent heads, who works with Charybdis.
- __________: Witch – goddess who lives on Aeaea and turned Odysseus’ men into swine (pigs).
- Cyclops or __________: The son of Poseidon.
- Sirens: Sean nymphs whose beautiful and mysterious music lures sailors to crash their ships into the rocks.
- __________: Famous blind prophet from the city of Thebes.
- _________: Odysseus’ faithful wife.
- Telemachus: __________________________________________
About this Document
The page numbers refer to Holt, Rinehart, and Winston's ELEMENTS OF LITERATURE (3rd Course).