Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Into The Wild Writing Assignment #1
Excerpt From this Document
Into The Wild
Assignment #1 Pages 1-69 (YOU MUST ALSO READ THE AUTHOR’S NOTE!)
Start date: August 25
Test date: September 2
Socratic Seminar: September 3
Class Discussion: September 4
PART ONE: Create a timeline of McCandless’ journey from pages 1- 69. Be as specific as possible noting days, months and the year as well as the states/cities and sights he sees.
PART TWO: Answer the following questions AP style—in other words, use good word choice and explain thoroughly.
- Why does Krakauer begin the account of McCandless’ odyssey with Gallien dropping him off in Alaska and then shift in the next chapter to hikers finding Chris’s dead body in the bus? (please, I beg of you, do NOT say “to get the reader’s attention”…).
- How does Chris McCandless differ from his “alter ego”, Alex Supertramp? How are they the same?
- In the “Author’s Note” at the front of the book, please turn to the last paragraph and re-read it. Krakauer says, “I will leave it to the reader to form his or her own opinion of Chris McCandless.” What is your opinion of this man thus far? Why do you feel this way? At this point, can you tell how Krakauer feels about McCandless?
- What rhetorical devices has Krakauer used thus far in the book that reveal his feelings about McCandless? Choose one and write one paragraph about it; be sure to cite examples from the text.
- What elements of Transcendentalism do you find in McCandless? Explain, citing the text.
About this Document
This assignment asks students to create a timeline of McCandless' adventures (beware--there is one on wikipedia that my students tried to turn in!!) and also has short answer questions.