Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Into the Wild Assignment #3--last 1/2 of book
Excerpt From this Document
Into the Wild
Henry David Thoreau
Please read the following:
- Thoreau’s biography on p. 230-231
- Excerpts from “Walden” on 233-244
- Choose a minimum of 15 words with which you are unfamiliar with out of the text. Please complete the standard vocabulary assignment using those words.
- Using either the internet or books, look up at least 7-10 facts about Jack London’s and Leo Tolstoy’s lives.
- On page 122 Krakauer writes, “He (McCandless) was also able to forgive, or overlook, the shortcomings of his literary heroes…”
- Compare and contrast McCandless to the four “literary heroes” we’ve read from/learned of so far (London, Emerson, Thoreau and Tolstoy) using such traits as philosophical beliefs and lifestyle choices. Which one is the most opposite of McCandless? Why? In spite of the fact that some of these men exhibit behavior apparently contradictory to that which McCandless admires, why is it then that these men make his list of noteworthy people?
- Choose one of the four “literary heroes” and complete a Y-Chart on McCandless and this author.
ALL OF THIS IS DUE ON MONDAY NOVEMBER 26TH –WE WILL HAVE A QUIZ OVER ALL OF THE READINGS THUS FAR.
ON TUESDAY WE WILL HAVE A SOCRATIC SEMINAR ON WEDNESDAY WE WILL HAVE A CLASS DISCUSSION.
About this Document
This assignment explores McCandless' interest in his literary heroes-London, Thoreau and Tolstoy, in particular. Students must research these authors and draw connections between all of them and McCandless.