Excerpt From this Document
Teachers: Get the most from your time in the classroom when you use this lesson plan for the Newbery Award-winning novel The Giver by Lois Lowry. In addition to providing comprehensive character analyses, this lesson plan offers guidance through the novel's primary themes, including the individual vs. society. Examples of guided discussion and study questions from this lesson plan include the following:
- What did Father want to do about the new child in The Giver, and why? He wanted to bring the new child home with him for extra nurturing. The child was not progressing and would be released if he did not improve. Father thought the extra attention would be helpful.
- Describe the Assignment of Birthmother. What did Lily's parents say about the it? The Birthmothers had three children. They were not allowed to see the children. After the third child, the Birthmothers were given jobs as Laborers for the rest of their lives.The Assignment did not have much honor.
- What happened to the apple while Jonas was playing with it? The apple changed for an instant. Jonas was not sure what the change was, but he knew it had changed.
- Describe the celebration of Release of Roberto. First, he told about his life. Then the attendants toasted, cheered, and chanted the anthem. Then Roberto made a good-bye speech. After that, he bowed and walked through a special door in the Releasing Room.
- What was Jonas's dream about in The Giver? What did his mother and father say about it? He had a dream that he wanted Fiona to take off her clothes and get in a bathtub. His parents said it was the Stirrings. His mother gave him a pill that would stop them. She told him he would have to take one every day until he entered the House of the Old.
About this Document
Written by educators for educators. The most content-rich literature lesson plans anywhere. Guaranteed.
eNotes is pleased to offer Teacher's Pet Publication LitPlans, the most complete literature lesson plans available to teachers and educators everywhere. Since 1989, these lesson plans have undergone extensive development based on the experience and feedback of teachers all over the world. We have more than 115 lesson plans available for download on the most widely-read books and plays, including this lesson plan for The Giver by Lois Lowry.