Excerpt From this Document
Teachers and professors: Get the most from your time in the classroom when you use this lesson plan for Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. In addition to providing comprehensive character analyses, this lesson plan offers guidance through the novel's primary themes, including alienation, apathy, and transformation. Examples of guided discussion and study questions from this lesson plan include the following:
- Who is Mildred in Fahrenheit 451, and what happened to her? Mildred is Montag's wife. She had taken an overdose of sleeping pills. Her stomach and blood had to be pumped clean.
- Why did Emergency Hospital send technicians instead of doctors to treat Mildred? Suicide by this method was so common that technician-operated machines were developed to treat the patient.
- What three elements did Faber feel were missing from life? He thought quality and texture of information, leisure time to think, and the right to carry out actions based on the other two items were missing.
- What plan did Montag and Faber devise? They were going to plant books in firemen's homes and turn in alarms on the firemen. This was to cast suspicion on all firemen.
- In Fahrenheit 451, why did Montag burn the book of poetry in the wall incinerator in his home? He had made a mistake by showing Mildred's friends that he had a book. Faber gave him orders through the radio transmitter to burn the book, to convince the ladies that he was playing a joke on them.
About this Document
Written by educators for educators. The most content-rich literature lesson plans anywhere. Guaranteed.
eNotes is pleased to offer Teacher's Pet Publication LitPlans, the most complete literature lesson plans available to teachers and educators everywhere. Since 1989, these lesson plans have undergone extensive development based on the experience and feedback of teachers all over the world. We have more than 115 lesson plans available for download on the most widely-read books and plays, including this lesson plan for Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury