Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Check Quiz for Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"
Excerpt From this Document
DIRECTIONS: Circle the letter of the best answer to each question.
- Petyon Farquhar is a— A. Northern soldier B. Northern civilian C. Southern soldier D. Southern civilian
- Farquhar is to hanged as a— A. spy B. traitor C. deserter D. slave owner
- The loud clanging sound Farquhar hears is— A. a hammer pounding nails into the scaffold B. the ticking of his watch C. the approach of a train D. the loading of the cannon
- The Federal scout stopped at the Farquhar home for— A. a free meal B. a drink of water C. a new pair of shoes D. a good night’s sleep
- When Farquhar drops, he feels— A. the pressure on his throat B. his hands come free C. the railroad tie striking his head D. nothing
- After the soldiers miss Farquhar with their rifles, they— A. chase him downstream B. give up and go back into the stockade C. shoot the cannot at him D. throw rocks
- When Farquhar lands on the bank, he runs into the forest because— A. the soldiers’ bullets are still coming too close B. the soldiers’ boats are approaching C. a bear is chasing him D. he sees his wife in the forest
- All day Farquhar travels— A. through the forest B. through a cotton field C. along the creek bank D. through a swamp
- Farquhar notices that the stars are— A. not visible in the forest B. unfamiliar and in strange constellations C. all a deep red color D. falling
- Farquhar’s escape from hanging is— A. planned by the Confederate soldiers B. a trick to capture him again in the act of escaping C. an illusion, since he was really hanged D. a miracle
DIRECTIONS: Answer each question by writing the correct answer in the blank.
- Which side (North or South) was Peyton Farquhar on, and what was his status (soldier or civilian)?
- Why is Farquhar to be hanged?
- What is the loud clanging sound that Farquhar hears?
- Why did the Federal scout stop at the Farquhar home?
- What does Farquhar feel when he drops through the bridge?
- After the soldiers’ rifles miss Farquhar, what do they do?
- What Farquhar lands on the bank, why does he run into the forest?
- All day Farquhar travels through what?
- What does Farquhar notice about the stars?
- What is the truth about Farquhar’s escape from hanging?
Answer Key Short Answer:
- Farquhar is a Southern civilian.
- Farquhar is to be hanged as a spy.
- The loud clanging is the ticking of Farquhar’s watch.
About this Document
A quiz to check basic comprehension [or completion of the reading assignment] of Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge." Includes multiple-choice and short-answer versions, with answer keys.