Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
The Bluest Eye - Literary Journal and Reading Calendar
Excerpt From this Document
African American Post-Modernism Literary Magazine Assignment
A literary magazine is a periodical devoted to literature in a broad sense. Literary magazines usually publish short stories, poetry and essays along with literary criticism, book reviews, biographical profiles of authors, interviews, and letters. You will work in groups of 3 to produce your own literary magazine centered on post-modern, African- American literature with Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye as your central text. We will spend some time in the computer lab working on this project, but you will be required to complete a substantial portion of this on your own.
The requirements for this magazine are as follows:
- creative cover with magazine title & a table of contents
- close readings (3)
- Analytical response to the text (3)
- original post-modern short story or poem OR piece of original post-modern art to accompany The Bluest Eye (3)
- A critical review of The Bluest Eye (1)
- Written comparison of another African American post-modern short story or poem to The Bluest Eye (1)
- Post-modern art analysis (1)
- Individual explanations for each of these requirements with rubrics will be given throughout the unit. Due dates for the components are listed on the attached calendar.
- Assignments turned in 1-day late will be given a 20-point penalty. After that, the assignment will receive a 0. Journals are counted as a major project/writing grade.
Each student in the group is responsible for THREE individual pieces in the completed the literary magazine.
One of each of the following:
- 1 close reading (from close reading exercises done in class)
- 1 analytical response to the text (see calendar for due date of rough draft)
- 1 creative piece (short story, poem, or original art)
AND one of the following: (group members must divide these up):
- A critical review of The Bluest Eye
- An essay comparing The Bluest Eye to another piece of African American postmodern literature
- An essay analyzing a piece of African American postmodernist art
About this Document
African American Post-Modernism Literary Magazine Assignment: I have used this project as a group assignment, but it can be an individual assignment as well. The assignment includes a sample scheduling calendar of due dates for the project.