Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
AP English Essay Scoring Rubric
Excerpt From this Document
AP Essay Scoring Rubric
Scores of 9-8
- These are superior essays.
- They have a clear statement of position, thoughtful support, convincing examples, and stylistic maturity (sentence structure, diction, organization).
- Although there may be a few grammar or spelling errors, the author demonstrates a superior control of language.
Scores of 7-6
- These are excellent essays.
- However, they have a thesis which lacks the specific and convincing proof of the superior essays.
- The author’s writing style is less mature, and thus has occasional lapses of diction, tone, syntax, or organization.
- Although there may be errors of grammar and spelling, the author demonstrates an adequate control of language.
Scores of 5-4
- These are mediocre, but adequate, essays.
- The thesis may not be quite clear, the argument not as well-developed, and the organization not especially effective.
- There are some grammar and spelling errors.
- These essays will receive a score no higher than 4 if they show any one of the following:
a) oversimplification or overgeneralization of the issues
b) write only in general terms, ignoring fine distractions
c) fail to discuss the issue completely or satisfactorily
d) mismanage the evidence
e) contain insufficient details
f) fail to establish the importance of the writer
g) treat only one aspect of a two-sided issue
h) cite examples but fail to consider the consequences
i) cite stylistic techniques but fail to explain the impact
j) characterize the passage without analyzing the language
Scores of 3-2
- These are weak essays.
- They lack clear organization and adequate support, the writing style is simplistic, and there are frequent grammar and spelling errors.
Score of 1
- These are poor essays. Although they may mention the question, they lack clarity, have little or no evidence, and contain consistent grammar and spelling errors. They are badly written, unacceptably brief, or off-topic.
About this Document
This essay rubric will help you grade student essays on a scale of 1-9.