Excerpt From this Document
I. Vocabulary: Match the vocabulary words to their definitions.
A. auspicious B. compulsive C. defile D. dirge E. edict F. lamentation G. lithe H. perverse I. sated J. transgress
- satisfied fully
- promising success; favorable
- limber; physically flexible
- an order put out by a person in authority
- having the ability to compel or force
- willfully determined to go against what is expected or desired
- an expression of grief
- a slow, mournful piece of music; a funeral hymn
- to violate or break a law, a command, or a moral code
- to make foul, dirty, unclean, or impure
II. Character Match: Match the character with his or her words in the play.
A. Antigone B. Creon C. Ismene D. Haemon E. Eurydice F. Teiresias G. Choragos H. a Sentry
- “I will carry her far away, Out there in the wilderness, and lock her living in a vault of stone.”
- “Then she must die. But her death will cause another.”
- “The time is not far off when you shall pay back corpse for corpse, flesh of your own flesh.”
- “Go quickly: free Antigone from her vault and build a tomb for the body of Polyneices.”
- “Whatever it is, I can bear it: Grief and I are no strangers.”
- “And yet, as men’s hearts know, I have done no wrong; I have not sinned before God.”
- “Polyneices, I say, is to have no burial: no man is to touch him or say the least prayer for him.”
- “The body, just mounded over with light dust: you see? Not buried, really, but as if they’d covered it just enough for the ghost’s peace.”
- “But I know now what you meant; and I am here to join you, to take my share of punishment.”
- “It is my nature to join in love, not hate.”
- “I want to die with you: I too have a duty that I must discharge to the dead.”
- “I beg you, do not be unchangeable: Do not believe that you alone can be right.”
- “We are only women; we cannot fight with men!
- “It is the dead, not the living, who make the longest demands: We die forever . . . .”
- “I should have praise and honor for what I have done.”
About this Document
Contains a vocabulary match and a section of character/passage identification; key included.