Adequate nutrition and a well-balanced diet in every phase of life are essential requirements for normal development and growth, health maintenance, and disease prevention, as well as for the recovery from illness or injury. The human organism is a dynamic system, constantly using stored energy to perform physiologic functions such as blood circulation, respiration, immune surveillance and defense against infections, synthesis of proteins, hormones, and neurotransmitters necessary for muscle activity, sensory perception,...
(The entire page is 2639 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE