- Leslie Marmon Silko (Critical Survey of Poetry: American Poets)
- Leslie Marmon Silko (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Leslie Marmon Silko (American Indians (Ready Reference series))
- Leslie Marmon Silko (Identities & Issues in Literature)
- Leslie Marmon Silko (The Sixties in America)
- Leslie Marmon Silko (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Leslie Marmon Silko (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Leslie Marmon Silko
- First Published: 1981
- Type of Poem: Lyric
- Genres: Poetry, Lyric poetry
- Subjects: Love or romance, Nature, Native Americans or American Indians, Dancing or dancers, Rites or ceremonies, Hunting or hunters, Deer, Animals
Written in free verse in seventy-two lines with an additional short paragraph of explanation following, Leslie Marmon Silko’s poem “Deer Dance/For Your Return” is a lyrical appeal for a return. It is a plea that re-creates and gives life to the very thing whose loss is dreaded. Subtitled “for Denny,” Silko’s poem invites the reader to link the absence of “Denny” (the man for whom the poem is written) to the ceremonial deer dance of the Laguna people to whom the poet belongs.
The reader is advised to go directly to the final paragraph of prose,...
(The entire page is 1777 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE