- Leo Tolstoy (Censorship (Ready Reference series))
- Leo Tolstoy (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Leo Tolstoy (World Philosophers and Their Works)
- Leo Tolstoy (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Leo Tolstoy (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Leo Tolstoy
- First Published: 1886
- Type of Plot: Domestic realism
- Time of Work: The 1880’s
- Setting: St. Petersburg and nearby provinces
- Characters: Ivan Ilyich Golovin, Praskovya Fyodorovna Golovina, Piotr Ivanovich, Vasya, Gerasim
- Genres: Psychological fiction, Short fiction, Domestic realism, Philosophical realism
- Subjects: Values, Family or family life, Self-discovery, Suffering, Nineteenth century, Middle classes, Religion, Spiritual life or spirituality, Christianity, Truth, Death or dying, Lawyers, Faith, Funeral rites or ceremonies, Terminal illness or terminally ill, Mortality, Materialism, Russia or Russian people
- Locales: Europe, Russia, St. Petersburg, Russia
This story begins with the news of Ivan Ilyich’s death reported by his closest acquaintance from law school, Piotr Ivanovich. When his coworkers hear the news, their immediate reaction is one of self-centered concern over their possible promotions and other changes that Ivan’s death might bring about in their own lives. Only after these considerations do the dead man’s so-called friends think of the tiresome duties of attending the funeral and consoling the widow.
Giving up his usual nap to attend the wake, Piotr, meeting his bridge partner at the...
(The entire page is 2014 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- In The Death of Ivan Ilych, would you call Ivan somewhat of a religous man? Sum up his goals in life, his attitude, and...
- What is the exposition, complication (rising action), climax, anti-climax, and denouement of The Death of Ivan Ilyich?
- What is the role of Gerasim, the servant boy, in "The Death of Ivan Ilyich"?
- What is the rising action, climax, and falling action of the novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy?
- What is the role of love and compassion at the end of the "The Death of Ivan Ilyich"?