- Willa Cather (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Willa Cather (Dictionary of World Biography: The 20th Century)
- Willa Cather (Identities & Issues in Literature)
- Willa Cather (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Willa Cather (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Willa Cather
- First Published: 1927
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Historical realism
- Setting: New Mexico and Arizona
- Characters: Bishop Jean Marie Latour, Father Joseph Vaillant, Kit Carson, Jacinto
- Genres: Long fiction, Historical fiction, Character study, Novel
- Subjects: Colonialism, Nineteenth century, Missions or missionaries, Religion, Native Americans or American Indians, Christianity, New Mexico, Southwest, Catholics or Catholic Church, Mexico or Mexicans, Clergy, Priests, Deserts, Frontier or pioneer life, Religious life, Cathedrals
- Locales: United States, Canada, Arizona, New Mexico, Southwest (U.S.), North America
In 1851, Father Jean Marie Latour reaches Santa Fé, where he is to become Vicar Apostolic of New Mexico. His journey from the shores of Lake Ontario is long and arduous. He loses his belongings in a shipwreck at Galveston and suffers painful injury in a wagon accident at San Antonio. When he arrives, accompanied by his good friend Father Joseph Vaillant, the Mexican priests refuse to recognize his authority. He has no choice but to ride hundreds of miles into Mexico to secure the necessary papers from the bishop of Durango.
On the road, he loses his way in an...
(The entire page is 2850 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE