Beverly Atlee Bunn Cleary was born on April 12, 1916, in McMinnville, Oregon. She lived on a farm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon until she was six. Her love affair with children's books began when her mother had books sent from the state library each week and acted as librarian for Yamhill, a town too small to have its own library.
At the age of six, Beverly moved with her family to Portland, Oregon, where she attended elementary and high school. Despite her initial frustration in learning to read and the "disgrace" of being placed in the "lowest" reading group, by grade...
(The entire page is 626 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE