Toby Silverman Zinman (essay date 2001)
SOURCE: Zinman, Toby Silverman. “What's Wrong with This Picture?: David Rabe's Comic-Strip Plays.” In Modern Dramatists: A Casebook of Major British, Irish, and American Playwrights, edited by Kimball King, pp. 229-39. New York: Routledge, 2001.
[In the following essay, Zinman suggests that the characters in Rabe's plays are similar to cardboard cutouts and comic-strip characters in the vein of Roy Lichtenstein's paintings.]
There is something oddly anachronistic in David Rabe's radically contemporary...
(The entire page is 4975 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE