Robert J. Andreach (essay date summer 1995)
SOURCE: Andreach, Robert J. “Unredeemed Savagery in The Orphan: David Rabe's Contemporary Oresteia.” Classical and Modern Literature: A Quarterly 15, no. 4 (summer 1995): 329-44.
[In the following essay, Andreach discusses The Orphan as a modern dramatization of Aeschylus's Oresteia trilogy.]
While composing an afterword for the 1993 publication of his four Vietnam plays spawned by the war, David Rabe discovered the past to be alive. “Vietnam,” he writes, “rises...
(The entire page is 7470 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE