Michael O'Neill (review date 1987)
SOURCE: O'Neill, Michael. “A Nostalgia for Belief.” Times Literary Supplement no. 4373 (23 January 1987): 92.
[In the following review, O'Neill comments on the mysterious quality of Ask the Bloody Horse.]
Both the charm and the limitations of Ask the Bloody Horse are highlighted by the fact that its poems are never so cheerfully wise or conversationally at ease as when they display their obsessive interest in the mysterious. In “Quests” Dannie Abse presents desire for “the other world” with a...
(The entire page is 447 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE