- Heroic literature
- Lyrics of courtly love
- An Excerpt from The Song of Roland
- An Example of a Courtly Love Lyric
- For More Information
Throughout its history, literature has passed through two broad stages and is still in a third stage. In each of these stages, poets; playwrights; and, in modern times, novelists tended to write about similar subjects, mostly because these were the subjects that interested their readers or listeners. Ancient literature, for example, the literature of ancient Greece and Rome, tended to focus on the activities of gods and their involvement in human affairs. Modern literature, literature since roughly 1700, has focused more on...
(The entire page is 4361 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE