Ezekiel Cheever: clerk of the court, responsible for serving warrants to the accused
Marshal Herrick: an officer of the court, charged with chaining the accused to bring them to the prison
Shortly after the disturbing news that Goody Nurse and Goody Corey have been charged, Ezekiel Cheever and Marshal Herrick enter the room. Cheever bears a warrant for Elizabeth’s arrest and has been ordered to search the house for poppets. The two men are uncomfortable with their position and a bit afraid of John...
(The entire page is 812 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE