The following articles have been selected to supplement the diverse views presented in this chapter.
Dan Baum. “Invisible Nation,” Rolling Stone, December 7, 2000.
Pam Belluck. “As More Prisons Go Private, States Seek Tighter Controls,” New York Times, April 15, 1999.
James Brooke. “In ‘Super Max,’ Terms of Endurance,” New York Times, June 13, 1999.
Mark Frances Cohen. “Showdown with Sheriff Joe,” George, December/January 2001.
David Cole. “Doing Time—In Rehab,” Nation, September 20,...
(The entire page is 234 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE