Raskolnikov follows Svidrigailov because he believes the man still “has designs” on Dounia. Even when Svidrigailov tells him that Sonia is with her three siblings at the orphanage, Raskolnikov insists on following him. Svidrigailov believes that Raskolnikov is suspicious of him only because he has not spoken of the secret he has discovered, but Raskolnikov is not convinced that Svidrigailov knows anything for certain based on what he overheard.
Sonia is gone, so Raskolnikov follows Svidrigailov, who does exactly what he said he was going to do. He goads Raskolnikov by saying...
(The entire page is 883 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE