Until the moment he was asked to leave, Luzhin had never imagined that the meeting would end this way. In his conceit and vanity, he had been certain he could manipulate and control the two defenseless and destitute women. His self-admiration has grown into foolishness as he believes his money has made him an equal to everyone who had been his superiors.
He had just insinuated that perhaps all the malicious gossip about Dounia was true, though when he made her the offer of marriage he was well aware that the gossip was groundless. Despite that, he still looked at his offer as...
(The entire page is 815 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE