“Earth Day alarmists had it wrong,” proclaimed conservative columnist Joseph Perkins of the San Diego Union-Tribune in a pre–Earth Day commentary (5/1/95).
Drawing on a New Yorker article (3/10/95) written by veteran Newsweek writer Gregg Easterbrook, Perkins takes to task liberals and “greenies” for “grossly overstating the prospects of global warming, the threat of species extinction and the health risk of pesticides.”
Gregg Easterbrook’s Views
“We have heard similar alarmist rhetoric on Earth Day,” wrote Perkins, a onetime...
(The entire page is 1655 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE