Apocalyptic predictions are always a sure bet to capture the public imagination. And because seizing the public’s attention is one of the media’s driving goals, such predictions are often in the news.
This is certainly true of the environmentalist movement. Since its advent in the 1970s, the movement has generated countless headlines about global warming, disappearing ozone and forests, and dire health threats posed by asbestos, radon, and even water.
The Manipulation of the Media
In the United States and around the world, people are highly dependent on...
(The entire page is 1998 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE