Everybody has heard of Yellowstone National Park and even Tongass National Forest, the former under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service and the latter under that of the Forest Service. But how many people have heard of the North Maine Woods, the Maine Coast Heritage Trust, or the Eastern Pennsylvania Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, all of which are under nongovernmental control? Those and many other private parks, wildlife sanctuaries, and nature reserves are doing a much better job of preserving natural amenities than are the federal agencies.
Because of our shared interest...
(The entire page is 2654 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE