At a glance:
- Author: Caryl Churchill
- First Published: 1979
- Type of Work: Drama
- Type of Plot: Comedy
- Time of Work: Victorian times and 1979
- Setting: A British colony in Africa and London
- Characters: Clive, Betty, Joshua, Edward, Victoria, Ellen, Harry Bagley, Mrs. Saunders, Martin, Lin, Cathy, Gerry
- Genres: Drama, Comedy, Comedy of manners
- Subjects: Values, 1970's, Self-discovery, Africa or Africans, Colonialism, Colonies or colonization, Homosexuality or homosexuals, Sex or sexuality, Gender roles, Nineteenth century, Marriage, Obsession, England or English people, Lesbianism or lesbians, London, Servants
- Locales: Africa, Europe, London, England, United Kingdom
Form and Content
The central focus of Cloud Nine is sexual politics, an admittedly general topic that Caryl Churchill suggested to a Joint Stock Theater Group workshop, which became the inspiration for her play. The work is divided into two very different acts. The first is set in Africa in Victorian times, with the patriarch Clive trying to maintain control of his section of the British Empire and of his family, the members of which demonstrate difficulty staying within the boundaries of accepted gender roles. Clive introduces them: himself as father to both the...
(The entire page is 2323 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- From Churchill's Plays: One, there are five different stories, each with multiple acts. What would be an analytical view on her play cloud...
- What are the features that make this play an absurdist or avant garde play? What characterizes this play as absurdist drama?
- What are the postmodern elements of Cloud Nine? Are there any challenges for actors/directors?
- What elements of post-colonial studies can be found in the play Cloud Nine by Caryl Churchill? my thesis is about...