A paper commonly used in various courtsuch as a probate, matrimonial, or traffic courthat is served upon an individual to notify him or her that he or she is required to appear at a specific time and place.
Reference to a legal authorityuch as a case, constitution, or treatisehere particular information may be found.
Cases are published in a series of books called reporters, which are compilations of judicial decisions made in a certain court, state, or jurisdiction. Reporters are published in consecutively numbered volumes, each of which...
(The entire page is 439 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE