At a glance:
- Author: John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beyn Harris
- First Published: 1955
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Science fiction—post-holocaust
- Time of Work: 4000-5000
- Setting: Waknuk, Labrador, Canada
- Genres: Long fiction, Science fiction, Apocalyptic and catastrophe fiction, Novel
- Subjects: Children, Extrasensory perception or powers, Future, Canada or Canadians, Mutations or mutants
- Locales: United States, Canada, North America
The Chrysalids was published in Great Britain under that title and in the United States as Re-Birth. The novel takes place after Tribulation, a cataclysmic event (probably a nuclear holocaust that devastated the world thousands of years earlier) attributed to God’s anger in the tradition of Eden and the Flood. The agrarian folk, technologically backward and beset by fear and prejudice, obey a strict interpretation of the Old Testament, eradicating all crop and animal mutations. Stern commandments and proclamations hang on their walls, telling them...
(The entire page is 1021 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE