The Cherokee Nation is a North American Indian tribe affiliated with the Iroquois linguistic group. The tribe flourished in southern states such as Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Tennessee until their destruction by small pox and disputes with settlers in the 1830s. Andrew Jackson was instrumental in driving the Cherokee out of Georgia in response to which many Cherokee began migrating west. The journey west nearly eliminated the Cherokees and was appropriately named the "Trail of Tears."
The expulsion of the Cherokee Nation is...
(The entire page is 4839 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE