In Greek mythology, Calliope was the most honored of the nine Muses, sister goddesses who were patrons of the arts and sciences. Calliope, the leader of the Muses, was the of the epic.long poem about legendary or historical heroes, written in a grand style Sculptors usually portrayed her holding writing implements such as a stylus pointed instrument for engraving on a clay or wax tabletnd a tablet.
Calliope's name meant "fair voice," and she was said to have been the mother of Orpheus, a legendary...
(The entire page is 153 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE