The Caine Mutiny was published on March 19, 1951. After a somewhat sluggish start it found its way to the bestseller list of the New York Times and to the surprise of almost everyone, including a publisher who had rejected the manuscript, it remained there for one hundred twentythree weeks. Domestic sales in various editions are well over the three million mark. It has been translated into sixteen foreign languages; it has been syndicated in forty-one American newspapers; it has been distributed by no less than four book clubs; and its author has been awarded a Pulitzer...
(The entire page is 5683 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE