At a glance:
- Author: Kate Buford
- First Published: 2000
- Type of Work: Biography
- Time of Work: 1913-1994
- Setting: New York, California, Italy, and elsewhere
- Characters: Burt Lancaster, Harold Hecht, June Ernst, Norma Anderson, Susie Martin
- Genres: Nonfiction, Biography
- Subjects: 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, New York, Acting or actors, Twentieth century, 1940's, 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, 1980's, California, Films, movies, or motion pictures, Hollywood, Filmmaking or filmmakers, 1990's, Italy or Italians, Acrobatics or acrobats
- Locales: California, New York, Italy
Despite winning an Academy Award for Elmer Gantry (1960) and receiving three other Oscar nominations, Burt Lancaster has not always received appropriate recognition for his acting and other contributions to film. Perhaps the reason is that many of his popular films were bravura entertainments, while the “art films” that he liked to alternate with them were undervalued in their day, though discerning critics and film enthusiasts have subsequently discovered their merit. Having started his career with tough roles in The Killers (1946), Brute Force (1947), and...
(The entire page is 2024 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE