One of the most critically acclaimed writers of historical fiction for children and young adults, Elizabeth George Speare was born and raised in Melrose, Massachusetts, in 1908. She died on November 15, 1994, at the age of 84.
Speare had a very happy childhood. She recalls, in fact, that it was “exceptionally happy” and that her hometown of Melrose was “an ideal place in which to have grown up, close to fields and woods where we hiked and picnicked, and near to Boston where we frequently had family treats of theaters and concerts.” Her affinity for New England is evident...
(The entire page is 534 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE