All of Speare's other novels feature graceful prose and her gift for vivid descriptions. Like The Bronze Bow, The Witch of Blackbird Pond won the Newbery Medal. It is an exciting and suspenseful novel about a girl, Katherine Tyler, learning to cope with being an outcast in the Puritan society of Colonial America. The book reflects Speare's careful research of the time and place. Also well researched is The Sign of the Beaver, which depicts the friendship between a Native American and a young white settler in eighteenth-century Maine.
(The entire page is 97 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE