At a glance:
- Author: Secondo Tranquilli
- First Published: 1936
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Social realism
- Setting: Italy
- Characters: Don Benedetto, Pietro Spina, Bianchina Girasole, Cristina Colamartini
- Genres: Long fiction, Social realism, Novel
- Subjects: Communism or communists, Revolutionaries, Socialism, Mistaken or secret identity, Religion, 1930's, Oppression, Christianity, Clergy, Italy or Italians, Priests, Fascism, Peasantry or peasants, Religious life, Catholics or Catholic, Church
- Locales: Europe, Rome, Italy, Italy, Abruzzi, Italy
In the Italian village of Rocca dei Marsi, Don Benedetto, a former Catholic teacher, and his faithful sister, Marta, prepare to observe the don’s seventy-fifth birthday. It is April, and war with the Abyssinians is in the making. Benedetto invites several of his old students to observe his anniversary with him. Three appear, and the group talks of old acquaintances. Most of Benedetto’s students compromised the moral precepts that the high-minded old scholar taught them. Benedetto asks about Pietro Spina, his favorite pupil, and learns from his guests that the...
(The entire page is 2725 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE