- Explicating Poetry: World Poets (Critical Survey of Poetry: World Poets)
- Russian Poetry (Critical Survey of Poetry: Topical Essays)
- English and American Poetry in the Twentieth Century (Critical Survey of Poetry: Topical Essays)
- The Childhood of Luvers (Masterplots II: Short Story Series, Revised Edition)
- Safe Conduct (Masterplots II: Nonfiction Series)
- The Poems of Doctor Zhivago (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sparrow Hills (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- With Oars at Rest (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Spring Rain (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Doctor Zhivago (Magill Book Reviews)
- Doctor Zhivago (Masterplots, Fourth Edition)
- Russian Long Fiction (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Doctor Zhivago (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
- The Poetry of Pasternak (Masterplots, Definitive Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Boris Pasternak
Other literary forms
Boris Pasternak (PAS-tur-nak) wrote only one novel, Doctor Zhivago; this work was the final product of a creative life devoted largely to poetry. Pasternak was initially recognized as a lyric poet who synthesized Symbolist musicality and Futurist colloquialism, but after the 1917 Revolution, as he indicated in his address to the First Congress of the Union of Soviet Writers in 1934, he came to believe that poetry was in fact “pure prose in its pristine intensity.” During the Stalinist purges of the 1930’s and through World War II, Pasternak...
(The entire page is 5267 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE