At a glance:
- Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- First Published: 1850
- Type of Poem: Ballad
- Genres: Poetry, Ballad
- Subjects: Love or romance, Christianity, Women, Jesus Christ, Heaven, Angels, Eternity
There are four versions of “The Blessed Damozel,” which was written in 1847, when Dante Gabriel Rossetti was eighteen years old. The first version was published in The Germ in 1850, the second in The Oxford and Cambridge Magazine in 1856, the third in 1870 in Rossetti’s collection Poems, the fourth in Poems, 1881. The changes appearing in the second and third versions are generally regarded as improvements.
Many years after the poem was written, Rossetti is said to have attributed it to his admiration of Edgar Allan...
(The entire page is 1343 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Give a critical appreciation of The Blessed Damozel, Stanza 1, in relation to symbolism.
- Critically analyse the poem"The Blessed Damizel"
- Why are the poems, listed below, Pre-Raphaelite poetry? How do I use the poems as examples to explain? "The Blessed...
- What are the main figures of speech in ' The Blessed Damozel' by Dante Rossetti?