Jill Kerper Mora is a professor of education at San Diego State University in California.
Summary: Proposition 227 was passed by a majority of California voters in 1998 to ban bilingual education and the use of languages other than English for instruction in public schools. The assumption of the new law is that American culture is being endangered by allowing school children to use their native languages. Proposition 227 ignores the fact that bilingualism thrives in California: More than one-third of the population speaks a language other than English at...
(The entire page is 3360 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE