Colin Baker is a professor of education in the School of Education at the University of Wales at Bangor. He is the author of numerous books on bilingualism, including Attitudes and Language, A Parents’ and Teachers’ Guide to Bilingualism, the Encyclopedia of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education (with Sylvia Prys Jones), and The Care and Education of Young Bilinguals.
Summary: The claim that bilingual education is a modern phenomenon is misplaced. In the United States, bilingual education flourished in the early immigrant settlements of the...
(The entire page is 3922 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE