Robert D. King holds the Audre and Bernard Rapoport Chair of Jewish Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, where he teaches and writes about linguistics, India, and the Yiddish language. His latest book is Nehru and the Language Politics of India.
Summary: The issue of language is not about to tear apart American society, despite the warnings of groups that believe otherwise and are actively pushing legislation that would make English the official national language. The English-only movement faces tough odds. Whereas in much of the rest of the...
(The entire page is 3388 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE