Edna Pontellier: the protagonist of the novel; a 28-year-old married woman with children who yearns for more out of life; the novel is about her journey of discovery
Leonce Pontellier: Edna’s husband; by all accounts, a good man, but treats Edna like a possession rather than an equal
Madame Lebrun: the owner of the resort at Grand Isle where the Pontellier family spends their summers
Robert Lebrun: the 26-year-old son of Madame Lebrun; falls in love with Edna
The Farival Twins: two young guests at Grand Isle who play...
(The entire page is 597 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE